When you want something really light but filling, this salad is the way to go. It has the crunch from lettuce and sunflower seeds, sweetness from the bell peppers and butteriness from chickpeas. Overall a good combination of textures. This is a good way to incorporate protein in your diet without having to eat any meat. And it’s all Vegan!
- Chickpeas – 1/2 cup
- Iceberg Lettuce – 1/2 head with core removed
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, sliced
- Garlic – 2 Cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger – a tiny piece finely chopped
- 1 small onion – sliced
- Pepper, Salt, Siracha – to taste
- Roasted sunflower seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – 1 Tsp
- If using canned chickpeas, go to step 3.
- Soak the dried chickpeas overnight in water. Next day, cook the chickpeas in a pressure cooker with a cup of water and 1 tsp of salt. Once they are nice and soft, drain the water and keep them aside.
- In a pan, add oil, chopped ginger, garlic, onion and saute until the onions turn soft. Toss in the sliced bell peppers. Sprinkle a little salt, crushed pepper and siracha for a little spice.
- Add in the cooked chickpeas and stir them for 5 minutes.
- Serve this on a bed of lettuce and top it off with roasted sunflower seeds. Enjoy!