Total : 30 – 35 Mins
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- 1 Large Tomato chopped
- 1 medium sized Onion chopped
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Rasam Powder – 2 Tbsp (Alternative : 1/2 Tsp Turmeric ; Chilli powder : 1/2 Tsp; Coriander Powder – 1/2 Tsp)
- Chana Dal and Urad Dal – 1/2 Tsp each
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Asafoetida – 1/4 Tsp (Optional)
- If you do not have a pressure cooker, go to step 2. Rinse the rice well under cold water. Add the rinsed rice and water in a pressure cooker. For most rice, use a 2:1 ratio( 2 cups water to 1 cup rice). Cook for 2 whistles on medium flame. Go to step 3.
- Add rice in a boiling pot of water( 2 cups water to 1 cup rice) with a pinch of salt. Cook for around 20 minutes for white rice and 30-35 minutes if you use brown rice.
- In the mean time, in a pan, add oil and let it heat on a medium flame. Once the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal.
- Once the mustard seeds pop and the dal turns slightly brown, add curry leaves, chilli and Asafoetida.
- Add the chopped onions and saute until they turn soft. Add the tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
- Add the rasam powder, salt and stir for a minute or two.
- Finally, add the cooked rice and gently mix trying to keep the rice grains intact.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!