Patties or ‘Tikkis’ as they are called in India, are great for a little tea time snack. These can also be served as an appetizer (starter) before the main course. Or put them between the burger buns and voila! A delicious meat free burger. These tikkis are usually deep or shallow fried. No doubt, they taste amazing when fried, but contain whole lot of fat.
I have been baking quite frequently these days and came up with this recipe. I had feta lying in my fridge and thought of incorporating it with soya chunks and potatoes to make patties. Soya chunks or also know as ‘Textured Soy Protein’ are an excellent substitute to meat. They are quite common in an Indian household. When cooked, they become chewy and almost have a texture like meat. This is a great source of protein to vegetarians and vegans. Saying so, this isn’t a vegan recipe as the name of the dish clearly says ‘FETA’ Patties.
It is a very simple recipe. Prepping the potatoes and soya chunks are the only ones that take time apart from, of course baking the patties. The addition of rice flour makes them crunchy on the outside yet they remain soft inside. The feta adds a lovely saltiness and brings all the spices together. I did not add any salt, as feta and chaat masala are quite salty.
These patties turned out great and my husband could not stop eating them. This is going to be a household favorite for sure. 🙂
Total : 70 Mins Baking : 30 Mins
PORTIONS : Makes around 14 – 15 medium sized patties
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- Soya Chunks – 1/2 Cup
- Garam Masala – 1 Tbsp
- Dhaniya or Coriander Powder – 1 Tsp
- Garlic powder – 1 Tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 Tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1 Tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Feta – 75 grams
- Rice Flour – 2 Tbsp
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet.
- Boil potatoes until they are cooked through. Remove their skin and set them aside.
- Meanwhile soak dry soya chunks in hot water for 30 minutes. Once soft, shred them into smaller pieces.
- In a bowl, add shredded soya chunks and boiled potatoes. Mash the potatoes and add the spices(Garam Masala, Coriander Powder, Chili Powder, Chaat Masala, Turmeric and Garlic Powder). Mix well.
- Crumble feta into the bowl, add rice flour and mix thoroughly.
- Make medium sized balls and shape them into patties.
- Brush the bottom of the sheet with a little oil and place the patties on it. Brush the tops of the patties with some oil.
- Bake under 180°C for 30 – 35 minutes. Flip them after 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve them with your choice of chutney or sauce and enjoy!