Nothing’s more comforting than a bowl of hot noodle soup on a cold night. A good broth is what makes a noodle soup really delicious.
This is a simple recipe that usually make, when I crave for something healthy and hearty. The broth is so flavorful that I can honestly have it just by itself. It doesn’t have a whole lot of ingredients. The star anise is the “STAR” of the broth. It adds a wonderful licorice flavor. A tiny piece does wonders! The broth needs to be boiled and simmered for at least 20 minutes, for the flavors infuse well.
I used flat rice noodles for this dish. Soak noodles in hot water, making sure they are completely immersed. It may take around 5 – 7 minutes to cook, depending on it’s thickness. Do not completely cook the noodles. When hot broth is poured over the noodles, they tend to absorb the broth and continue to cook further. Hence, becoming soggy. So, always keep an eye on the noodles to check that they do not cook through completely. Once they are done, quickly drain them and put them under cold water. This stops the noodles from cooking further.
When you’re craving for a hot bowl of soupy noodles, make this. It’s healthy, oil free and most importantly super comforting. Sipping hot soup along with vegetables and noodles is clearly the best way to enjoy a cold night.
Hope you enjoy this recipe.
Happy Cooking !! 🙂
Total : 30 Mins Cooking : 25 Mins
Rice Noodles – 1/2 packet
FOR THE BROTH:
- Water – 4 cups
- Finely chopped ginger – 1 Tsp
- Finely chopped garlic – 1 1/ Tsp
- Chilli Flakes – 1 Tsp
- Soy Sauce – 1 Tbsp
- Hoisin Sauce – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Spring Onions – 2, chopped( Alternative : White onion – 1/2 )
- Star Anise – 1/2 piece
- One Large carrot cut into strips
- 4 – 5 medium sized button mushrooms, cubed
- 6 – 7 Broccoli florets
- To prepare the broth/soup: In a sauce pan, add water, star anise, sliced spring onions or white onions, ginger, garlic, chilli flakes, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and salt. Bring it to a boil and then simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add carrots and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes and add broccoli at the end. Cook for another minute and take it off the heat. (Broccoli and carrots should be slightly crunchy)
- Meanwhile, immerse flat rice noodles in a bowl of hot water for around 5 -7 minutes. Keep an eye and test the noodles frequently, because cooking time may vary depending on the thickness. Just before they are completely cooked, drain them under cold water.
- To serve, place the noodles first in the bowl, pour the broth/soup on top along with the vegetables. Serve it immediately!!
ENJOY !!! 🙂
Also check out :