This classic Italian dessert is rich and creamy with a subtle hint of coffee. The first time I ate this in Rome, Italy, I was blown away!! A spoonful of this luscious dessert, just melts away in your mouth. Since then, I have always wanted to make this at home. It may seem very complex to prepare. But, trust me. It is actually very simple. Plus, there is no cooking required.
Classic Tiramisus are made with eggs that are not cooked. This may not sound so appetizing. But, the vanilla bean paste, sugar, cocoa and coffee take away the raw taste of the eggs. And of course, not to forget the lady finger biscuits or savoiardi. They soak up all the lovely espresso and become moist. Vegetarians or people who do not wish to consume raw eggs, can replace it with whipped cream.
This dessert is perfect for a special family lunch or dinner. You can prepare it in advance and refrigerate it for a few hours or even over night. It tastes so much better when chilled. Make this for your Thanksgiving lunch or dinner and I’m sure your family and guests will love it.
Total : 3 – 4 hours (Depends on how long you refrigerate it)
Prep : 30 MINS
- 2 eggs, separate yolks and whites
- Vanilla Bean Paste – 1/2 Tsp
- Mascarpone – 175 grams
- Sugar – 1/4 Cup
- Instant Coffee powder – 3 Tsp
- Savoiardi Italian Lady Fingers – 15 to 17
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder for dusting
- Beat egg yolks well until they become creamy. Add vanilla bean paste and mascarpone and whisk gently until everything is well combined and becomes light and fluffy. (Yolk mixture)
- Whisk the yolks. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue to whisk until soft peaks form.(White mixture)
- Add the yolk mixture into the egg white mixture and with a spatula, gently fold. We want it to be light and airy. (Mascarpone – egg mixture)
- Prepare Coffee : Add 3 Teaspoons of instant coffee powder into a microwave save bowl. Microwave it for a 1 minute.
- Assembly : Dip the lady fingers very briefly into the coffee and arrange them at the bottom of either a square dish or a mason jar. Then, spoon in the mascarpone – egg mixture on top and spread evenly. Repeat the layers and finish the top with the mascarpone egg mixture. Dust cocoa powder on top.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours (Overnight for better results) and serve.