Chicken is my favorite meat and I love cooking it. I came across these beautiful pieces of entire chicken legs (thighs with drumsticks) in the supermarket and decided to roast in the oven. I am all for quick and simple recipes which do not need a lot of prep.
This oven roasted spicy chicken leg is baked slowly at a low temperature. The chicken cooks slowly which helps it to remain moist inside, while the skin becomes crispy. To achieve this, I smeared a little butter below and on the chicken skin. When you add the spice rub, it sticks well and when cooked, the skin becomes a lovely golden brown. I spiced this chicken with paprika and chilli flakes. You can replace chilli flakes with chilli powder. You can really play around with spices on this one. Again, the trick is to slow cook so that the meat does not dry out.
The prep takes barely 10 minutes. Put it in the oven and wait patiently for an hour or so until you see the golden brown skin. Have this with roasted veggies on the side and you have yourself a complete roast lunch/dinner for Thanksgiving or Christmas. 🙂
TOTAL : 1 Hour PREP : 10 Mins
- Chicken Leg with skin (thigh and drumstick)
- Paprika – 1 Tsp
- Oregano – 1/2 Tsp
- Chilli Flakes – 1 Tsp (Alternative : Chilli Powder)
- Salt – 1 Tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1 Tsp
- Butter – 1/2 Tsp
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C.
- Wash the chicken leg well and dab it with a kitchen paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- For the chicken rub, in a bowl, mix paprika, oregano, chilli flakes, salt and garlic powder.
- Smear little butter below the chicken skin and on it.
- Now rub the spice mix on the chicken well and place it on a roasting tray. Bake at 150°C skin side down first for 30 minutes and then flip. Baste the melted butter and spice mix from the tray on the skin, increase temperature to 180°C and continue to bake for another 20 – 25 minutes.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve!