Looking to prepare something in a hurry? This one pot rice dish with spinach will do the trick for you. It is healthy with all the goodness of leafy green spinach and it is so easy to make when you are looking for a quick meal.
Not very fond of spinach? Neither am I. 🙂 So, this would be a really good way to incorporate spinach into your meal. Flavored with aromatic Indian spices like Cardamom, cloves, garam masala and cinnamon, with a little drizzle of lemon juice on top, you have yourself a super nutritious and delicious meal.
Total : 30 Mins Cooking : 20 Mins
- Spinach – 1 big handful, washed well and chopped
- One onion, sliced
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- Green Cardamom – 3 Pods
- Black Cardamom – 2 Pods
- Bay Leaves – 2
- Cloves – 4
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- Chilli Powder – 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 Tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Salt – 1 Tsp or to taste
- Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 2 1/2 cups
- In a pressure cooker, on a medium flame, heat oil. Add green and black cardamom pods, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon sticks and saute for a minute until their aromas are released.
- Add sliced onions, chopped ginger and saute until the onions turn light brown.
- Add the chopped spinach, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Fry this well for a couple of minutes.
- Add 2 and a half cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, add in the rice and give it a final stir. Cover the lid and cook for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, squeeze lemon juice on top and serve it with potato chips/ raita/ dal or any curry of your choice.