Black Forest cake has to be one of my all time favorite cakes. I have grown up eating them back home in India and never did I dream of being in the land of Black forest.
Black Forest Cake aka ‘Schwarzwald Torte’ in Deutsche is one of Germany’s Classic Cakes. They are spongy and moist with a bottom layer of sour cherries. The middle layer is filled with a not so sweet vanilla cream. The torte is not complete with a top layer of whipped cream, shaved dark chocolate topped with whole cherries.
I recently baked a cupcake version of this torte and they turned out amazing. They were moist and extremely chocolaty. Fresh whipped cream on top along with cherries, added a sweet and sour note.
The chocolate cupcakes were amazing as it is. It had a lovely crunchy top, almost brownie like. I made a regular chocolate cake batter and placed sour cherries at the bottom of the cupcake liners. Then added the batter on top of them. For the frosting on the cake, I kept it really simple and gave it a rustic look. I used a spoon to add the whipped cream on the cupcakes. You can always use a piping bag.
Overall, I was really amazed the way they turned out because this was my first ever try! I will surely be making them more often. So here’s my version of a Black Forest Cupcake. A perfect little treat for Christmas.
TOTAL : 1 Hour PREP : 20 Mins BAKING : 20 Mins
Makes 12 Cupcakes
- Plain Flour – 1 Cup
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 1/2 Cup
- Baking Powder – 1 Tsp
WET INGREDIENTS(Should be at room temperature):
- One Egg
- Milk – 1/2 Cup
- Softened Butter – 100 grams
- Caster Sugar – 1/4 Cup
- Cherry Juice from the Cherry jar – 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla Bean Paste – 1/2 Tsp
- 30% Fat Cream – 1/2 Cup
- Sugar – 3 Tsp
- Vanilla Bean Paste – 1/4 Tsp
- Sour Cherries
- Dark Chocolate Shavings
- Cupcake liners
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Line the muffin tray with the cupcake liners.
To Prep the Chocolate Cake Batter:
- In a bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar well. Add egg, vanilla bean paste and whisk them again well.
- Next add milk, cherry juice from the jar and whisk well.
- Now add in the dry ingredients. Sift plain flour, unsweetened cocoa powder and baking soda. With a spatula, in a cut and fold motion, mix in the flour well until all combined. Your chocolate cake batter is ready.
To Bake :
- Add cherries into the cupcake liners.
- Scoop a tablespoon of batter into each cupcake liners. Fill about 3/4th, as the batter will rise.
- Bake them at 180°C for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow the cakes to cool on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make whipped cream.
- Pour chilled cream, sugar and vanilla bean paste into a bowl and keep whisking until you get stiff peaks.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled enough, put a dollop of whipped cream on the cupcake and spread. (You can also use a piping bag)
- Sprinkle shaved chocolate on top and finish it off with a cherry on top.
And there you have yourself my version of a Black Forest Cupcake. Enjoy!