Who doesn’t like a good chocolate cake? Of course everyone does, even a person like me who isn’t very fond of chocolate. I baked this cake recently for my husband’s birthday and I least expected that it would turn out this well.
The best part about this cake is that, it has zero butter or oil in it. That’s right! Who would’ve thought that a cake could be baked without butter or oil in it? What surprised me the most is that, the cake remained super moist and the taste wasn’t compromised either.
The batter for this recipe is slightly runny. At first I was alarmed, but the end result made me happy. To add a fancy touch and make it extra chocolaty, I covered the top with a beautiful chocolate glaze.
This cake is so simple yet elegant and the plus point is, it’s butter and oil free! Now tell me that this isn’t the best chocolate cake ever. 😉
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Here is my recipe.
Total : 45 Mins Baking : 30 Mins
For the Chocolate Cake:
- All Purpose flour – 1 1/2 Cups
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 3/4 Cup
- Brown Sugar – 3/4 Cup
- Cherry Juice – 1/2 Cup
- Eggs – 2
- Milk – 1/2 Cup
- Yogurt – 1/2 Cup
- Vanilla Bean Paste – 1 Tsp (Alternative : Vanilla Extract – 2 Tsp)
- Baking Powder – 2 Tsp
- Baking Soda – 1 Tsp
For Chocolate Glaze:
- 50 grams semi-sweet chocolate
- Milk – 3 Tbsp
Pre-heat the oven to 175°C. Prepare the cake pan by brushing/spraying with oil or buttering and flour it lightly.
For the Chocolate Cake:
- In a bowl, add eggs and brown sugar. Whisk them until well combined and creamy. To the same bowl, add milk, yogurt, vanilla bean paste and cherry juice. Mix well. (Wet Ingredients)
- In another bowl, sift in all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder to remove lumps. (Dry Ingredients)
- Now add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl. With the help of a spatula, stir through the mixture gently. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared cake pan. Bake under 175°C for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Then remove the cake and cool completely.
For the chocolate glaze:
- Heat the milk and chocolate in a microwave for 2 minutes, 1 minute at a time so that the chocolate does not burn. Whisk the milk and chocolate until completely smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled, pour the slightly warm glaze over the cake and spread evenly over it.
Serve it once the glaze it set.