Chia seeds have gained a lot of popularity in the recent years, due to it’s nutritional values. Another similar looking seed is the Basil seed. They are pretty common in India and are mostly used in the popular drink ‘Falooda’. They are supposedly rich in anti-oxidants, iron, fiber and aid in digestion, weight-loss and also lowers bad cholesterol. So just a spoonful of these seeds can keep you quite full and curb overeating.
One of the best ways to consume these seeds are to soak them in water and allow them to expand. They become slightly gelatinous and are great for puddings and drinks. They have a slight bite to them even after they are soaked.
So, here is one such recipe that can be a great breakfast treat. It is healthy, wholesome, very refreshing and keeps you full until lunch. You can soak the seeds overnight if you do not have time in the morning. Or you can even make this recipe before hand and refrigerate it overnight. This recipe can be made vegan friendly by substituting yogurt with some thick coconut milk or any other vegan alternative.
So here’s my healthy Strawberry Yogurt Basil seed pudding. Hope you enjoy!
Total : 45 Mins Prep : 30 Mins
- Fresh Strawberries – 6 to 7
- Plain Yogurt – 1 Cup (Alternative : Thick Coconut Milk for vegans )
- Agave Syrup or Honey – 3 Tbsp
- Basil Seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Water – 150 ml
- Soak the basil seeds in water and keep them aside for 30 minutes. The seeds expand and become gelatinous. Strain them well.
- Thinly slice few strawberries and finely dice the rest of them.
- In a cup, add yogurt and agave or honey and mix well.
- Now once all the prep is done, it is time to assemble. Take a slice of strawberry and add a small drop of agave syrup on it. Spread it well on the surface and stick it inside the glass jar. The syrup acts like a natural glue and helps the slice to stick well to the glass jar.
- Now add spoonfuls of expanded basil seeds. Continue with spoonfuls of sweetened yogurt. Sprinkle some diced strawberries over it. Repeat the layers of basil seeds, yogurt and strawberries until you reach the brim.
- Garnish with a sliced strawberry on top and dig in!
Eat healthy and stay healthy! 🙂