Here is a simple recipe that I came up with because I had some left over rotisserie chicken. I made some calzones with whole wheat flour instead of the regular plain/ all-purpose flour/maida. These are slightly healthier and lighter calzones because they do not have cheese in them. You can of course add them to make cheesy calzones.
This dough recipe also makes excellent whole wheat pizza crusts.
Once baked, the calzones were soft but certain areas were slightly crunchy. I was pretty generous with the filling and every bite I had, contained the tasty filling. These are perfect for any time of the day. Make a batch of these before hand and refrigerate. To refresh them, just heat them in a microwave and serve. They can also be a great snack to carry for your travels or for a family day out/picnic.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! 🙂
Total : 2 Hours Cooking : 45 mins
Yields 5 calzones.
For the dough: Prep : 1.15 Hours
- Whole wheat flour – 2 Cups
- Dry yeast – 1 packet
- Sugar – 1 Tsp
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Water – 150 ml
For the filling: Prep : 15 Mins
- Oil – 1 Tsp
- Half an onion, chopped
- Chopped garlic – 1 Tbsp
- Vegetables of your choice – 1 1/2 Cups( I used peas, corn, carrots, potatoes)
- Ketchup – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – 1 Tsp
- Black Pepper – 1 Tsp
- Shredded rotisserie chicken – 1 Cup
- Egg wash or milk for brushing over the calzone.
- Add dry yeast into 150 ml water along with sugar and set it aside for 15 minutes. Allow the yeast to bloom.
- In a bowl, add 2 cups of whole wheat flour, oil and yeast mixture. Combine to form a dough. Add little oil over it, cover it with a plastic wrap or kitchen towel and keep it in a warm place.
- While the dough doubles up in size, get on with preparing the calzone filling. In a pan, add oil and sauté some onions and garlic. Once translucent, add in the vegetables, salt and pepper. Cook the veggies to about 80%.
- Add shredded rotisserie chicken, ketchup and mix well. Your filling is ready. (Note: If you do not have rotisserie chicken, you can add boneless chicken cut into some pieces and cook it along with the veggies)
- Once the dough has doubled in size, knead it and form balls. Roll them out and add the filling at the center. Fold the edges and brush the top with some egg wash or milk.
- Bake them at 180°C for in a preheated oven for around 25 – 30 minutes.
- Serve them with your favorite sauce on the side and enjoy!