This recipe is my take on the popular Indian dish – Palak Paneer or Spinach with Indian Cottage cheese. Only difference here is, I replaced paneer with tofu and made it vegan!
I stumbled upon some beautiful Italian Spinach at my local supermarket. They looked fresh and vibrant. I decided to make the classic palak paneer but there wasn’t any paneer. It’s hard to find paneer where I live. So, I grabbed a packet of tofu and decided to make it vegan!
This is such a delicious and insanely easy dish to make. Spinach surely has a great reputation for it’s health benefits, yet is disliked by most people. When mixed with spices, this humble green leaf is elevated to a whole new level.
I baked the tofu cubes. You can also pan fry them with a little oil until they turn a lovely golden brown. Serve this simple curry with rotis/chapathis or Cabbage Roti along with some lemon slices and green chillies on the side. 🙂
Total : 40 Mins Prep : 30 Mins Cooking : 10 Mins
- Firm Tofu – 200 grams
- Cumin Seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Chopped Onion – 1
- Chopped Garlic – 3 Cloves
- Chopped Ginger – ½ inch piece
- Chopped Tomato – 1
- Dried red chillies – 2
- Spinach – 250 grams
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Dried Fenugreek leaves – 1 tsp
- Water – 2 ¼ Cups
- Oil – 1 tsp + 1 tbsp
- In a pan, add 1 tsp oil and fry cumin seeds, chopped onion, garlic and ginger for a minute on a medium flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and spinach. Stir until spinach slightly wilts. Do not overcook the spinach. Blend this mixture with a cup of water, once thoroughly cooled.
- Cut tofu into cubes and bake them for 20 mins under 200°C or fry them in a pan with little oil.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add 1 tbsp oil on a medium flame. Add the blended spinach mix into the pan, along with the spices mentioned in the ingredients list, a cup of water and stir well.
- Add baked tofu cubes and cook for 5 minutes. Add little water if the gravy seems thick.
- Lastly add dried fenugreek leaves and simmer for another 5 minutes and its ready.
- Garnish with ginger julienne strip on top and serve it hot with chapatis/rotis or basmati rice.