When ever I hit the grocery store, carrots are always on my ‘items to buy’ list. I absolutely love these vegetables. They are naturally sweet and make excellent stews, soups and cakes!
I had never made carrot cake or muffins before. I baked these muffins recently and was so pleased with the outcome. They are a combination of plain oatmeal, banana, carrots and whole wheat flour, sweetened with Jaggery.
The recipe is very simple and the batter can be prepared within minutes. I used jaggery powder as it adds a lovely aroma and flavor. It also keeps the muffins moist. The result – light, airy and healthy muffins. I added only a quarter cup of jaggery, as I topped the muffins with some icing, which can be really sweet. You can increase the sweetness as per your taste.
These make a good ‘On the go’ breakfast or a tea-time snack. They refrigerate well for about 3 days.
I hope you enjoy making these as much as I did.
Total : 35 Mins Prep : 10 Mins
Yields 8 muffins
- Grated carrots – 1 Cup
- Ripe Bananas – 1
- Egg – 1
- Oatmeal – ½ Cup
- Whole wheat flour – 1 Cup
- Sunflower Oil – ¼ Cup (Alternative : Any other oil of your choice)
- Low fat milk – ½ Cup
- Jaggery Powder – ¼ Cup (Alternative : sweetener of your choice)
- Vanilla extract – 1 Tsp
- Baking powder – 1 Tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 Tsp
- Powdered Sugar – 3 Tbsp
- Milk – ½ Tsp
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prep the muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
- In a bow, mash banana, add jaggery and mix. Add oil, egg, milk and whisk well to combine.
- Now add grated carrots, oatmeal, vanilla extract and mix. Then add in whole wheat flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Fold the mixture gently.
- Add heaped tablespoon of mixture into muffin cases and bake at 180°C for 25 – 30 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool.
- For icing, mix powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle it over the cooled muffins and enjoy!
If you like the video, don’t forget to give it a ‘Thumbs up’ and also make sure to subscribe to my Channel, to get latest updates!
Happy baking ! 🙂