The first time I saw a picture of an Apple Galette on Instagram, I was blown away! It looked so pretty with the apple slices arranged so intricately. The design was so beautiful. Gotta tell you, it requires a lot of skill and creativity.
I wanted to make it from scratch, with the pie crust and all. So, I bought some lovely crispy green apples and a big block of butter. Yeah!! You just cannot skip butter on this one. If you want a flaky, buttery crust, make sure you adds loads of it.
For someone who has never made a pie crust before, this was a big experiment especially with whole wheat flour. And I’m so glad to tell you guys that, it was a success!! 😀
After making the pie dough, I rested it for about 30 to 40 minutes. I rolled it out and pondered for a long time about, how to arrange the slices. After a lot of thinking, I decided to keep it simple. Hence, the floral arrangement. Ah! I tried my best to make it look pretty. But, will let you guys be the judge for this one. 🙂
Total : 1 Hour 50 Mins
Prep : 25 Mins
Baking : 45 Mins
Yields 8 slices
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1¼ Cups (Alternative : Plain or all purpose flour)
- Salt – ¼ Tsp
- Chilled Butter – ½ Cup
- Cinnamon – 1 Tsp
- Chilled water – 3 to 4 Tbsp (Add more if required)
- Peeled, cored and sliced apples – 2
- Sugar for sprinkling
- Mix salt and flour in a bowl. Add cold butter into the flour and cut using a fork( or a pastry blender ) until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add 3 – 4 tablespoons of chilled water and mix gently with a fork. A little water, drop by drop until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Transfer it on to a plastic wrap. Wrap it tightly and allow it to chill for at least 30 minutes.
For the gallete:
- Roll out chilled pie dough, on a floured surface. Arrange apple pieces at the center, leaving some space (a couple of inches) around them.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on the arranged apples.
- Gently fold the edges over apple slices and brush them with milk or egg wash. Sprinkle some sugar on the edges and add little cubes of butter on apple slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 40 – 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow it to cool before serving.
Happy Cooking!! 🙂