There is no South Indian cooking without mustard seeds, curry leaves and coconut (in any form). Today, I share with you a simple South Indian style Vegetable Fry or Palya, made with red cabbage a.k.a purple cabbage.
It is a quick stir fry that can be eaten as it is like a warm salad or with roti/capathi or even served on the side with some rice, rasam (Tamarind or Tomato soup) or sambhar (Lentil stew).
The red cabbage can be substituted with any other vegetable or legume. Here is how I prepare my Red cabbage stir fry. Hope you all like the recipe.
Happy cooking ! 🙂
Total : 30 Mins Prep : 10 Mins Cooking : 20 Mins
- Vegetable oil – 1 Tsp (Alternative : Coconut Oil )
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad Dal (White lentil) – 1 Tsp
- Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram) – 1/2 Tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing – 1/4 Tsp
- Curry leaves (Fresh or dried) – 15
- One large onion, chopped
- Chopped ginger – 1 Tsp
- Chopped garlic – 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 Tsp (Alternative : Green chilies)
- Garam Masala – 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 Tsp
- Lemon – 1/2
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, heat some vegetable or coconut oil. Add mustard seeds, urad and chana dal, asafoetida and curry leaves. Mustard seeds begin to pop and dal turns golden brown.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for a minute. Then add in chopped onion. Saute until they soften.
- Add turmeric and coriander powder. Fry the spices for a minute.
- Add in chopped cabbage, along with chili powder, garam masala and salt to taste. Cook the cabbage for around 5 – 7 minutes or until the cabbage slightly softens.
- Lastly, turn off the flame and add in some freshly grated coconut, along with juice of half a lemon. Stir well and serve.
If you like my YouTube videos, do follow me, by simply clicking on the SUBSCRIBE button.