This 30 minute dish is one of my favorites. Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. A simple rice dish made with sweet corn and spices, paired with a cooling cucumber iceberg lettuce raita.
Cooked in my trusty pressure cooker, making rice dishes could not get any simpler than this. If you do not have a pressure cooker, you can also use an instant pot, a rice cooker or a large pan/pot.
I personally like my rice, light and fluffy. The key, is to add the rice, only when the water is boiling well (Just like cooking pasta). If you want to use a pot to make this dish, add the rice when the water is boiling, stir it and cover with the lid. Turn down the heat to the lowest level and let it cook for around 20 minutes. Take it off the heat and let it continue to steam for another 5 – 10 minutes. Then lightly fluff the rice using a fork. Do not over mix. We want the grains be intact.
If you’re looking for meal prep dishes, this would be ideal. Make this in advance and pack it into your lunchbox. Any left overs can easily be stored in an air tight container and kept in the refrigerator for at least 3 days. Take it out the next day, heat it and enjoy. It tastes even better the next day. Trust me. 🙂
So, here is how I make it. Hope you enjoy.
HAPPY COOKING ! 🙂
Total : 30 Mins Prep : 10 Mins Cooking : 20 Mins
For Corn Pulao:
- Oil or Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom pods – 3
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 small
- Bay leaf – 1
- Sliced onion – 1
- Chopped garlic – 2 large pods
- Chopped ginger – 1 Tsp
- Sweet Corn – 1 Cup
- Water – 3 Cups
- Washed Rice – 2 Cups (I used sona masuri rice. You can use basmati too)
- Coriander Powder – 1 Tsp
- Chili Powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 Tsp
- Dried Fenugreek leaves/ Kasuri Methi – 1 Tsp
- Salt – 1 Tsp ( or to taste)
- Freshly chopped coriander for garnish (optional)
For Cucumber Iceberg Lettuce Raita:
- Half a cucumber, diced small.
- Lettuce – 2 leaves
- Low fat yogurt – 1 Cup
- Salt to taste
- Chili flakes to taste (Alternative : Paprika or Chili powder)
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add all the whole spices (Cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf) and saute until aromatic.
- Add sliced onion, garlic and ginger. Saute until onions turn light brown.
- Add water, corn, coriander and chili powder, garam masala, salt and dried fenugreek leaves. Mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, add the washed rice and give it a good stir. Cover the lid and cook for 2 whistles.
- Once cooked, use a fork to fluff up the rice. Serve hot with a salad or cucumber lettuce raita on the side.
Cucumber Lettuce raita:
- Cut lettuce and cucumber into small pieces.
- Add low fat yogurt, season with salt and chili flakes (or paprika). Mix it well and serve with rice.