When ever I make pasta with tomato sauce, I like making my own tomato sauce from scratch. I don’t buy tomato passata or tomato puree from the supermarket. Instead, I make it at home with fresh tomatoes and onions.
Firstly, chop tomatoes and onions into rough cubes. Then saute them in a little oil. Cook until the tomato and onion become soft. Let them cool completely before blending. Throw in some garlic too, if you like. Add in a little water and blend into a smooth puree. I do not strain it. This is as simple as it can get.
This puree is bland at the moment without any seasoning. Now, use it to make your sauce for the pasta. Add butter and cook the puree further along with some dried herbs, salt and pepper. I bought some frozen prawns, which were pre-marinated in herbs. Cook them in the lovely sauce. Cook spaghetti until it’s just al dente and then finish it off in the sauce. The spaghetti continues to cook in the sauce and absorbs all its delicious flavor.
So, who says, you always need to buy passata or tomato puree from the store to make pasta in tomato sauce? Of course, your work becomes easier when you have ready made puree. But, it’s always better ( in a lot of ways) when you make things from scratch.
Hope you enjoy this recipe and try it at home.
Happy Cooking ! 🙂
- Olive oil – 1 Tsp
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Prawns – 220 grams
- Large Tomato – 1
- Medium sized onion – 1
- Dried Oregano – 1 Tsp
- Paprika – 1 Tsp
- Crushed Black pepper – 1 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Whole wheat spaghetti – 1/4 Packet
- Water and salt to cook spaghetti
- In a pot, add water and salt. Bring it to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook for 8 minutes.
- In a pan, add olive oil and saute chopped onions and tomato. Cover and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, until tomato slightly softens. Cool the mixture completely.
- Transfer the cooled contents into a blender and blend into a smooth puree.
- In the same pan, add butter and the puree along with dried oregano, salt, paprika, pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add prawns and cook for a couple of minutes. Now add in cooked spaghetti and cook for another 2 – 3 in the sauce and its ready!
Sprinkle some grated Parmesan or enjoy as it is.