When you think of a zebra cake, stripes of chocolate and vanilla come to mind. But well, since it’s summer, here is a new refreshing take on this cake with a slight difference – stripes of raspberry and vanilla.
I stumbled upon fresh raspberries at the supermarket and knew I had to buy them. I made a Raspberry puree, simply by blending them without any sugar. I then, sieved it to get rid of the seeds and also to get a smoother puree. I later decided to use this to make a zebra cake. I used the same puree to flavor my basic vanilla cake batter.
The trick for getting those lovely, characteristic stripes is to pour equal amounts of batter to the center. I poured 1 Tbsp of batter, alternating vanilla and raspberry to get concentric rings. They don’t need to be perfect. In the end, just before baking, you can also make a floral design using a skewer (Optional).
After a few trial and errors, I did manage to get a beautiful moist cake with lovely stripes. Dust the top with some powdered sugar. Serve it with some fresh raspberries or raspberry puree on the side.
Hope you like this recipe.
Happy Baking! 🙂
Total : 45 Mins Prep : 10 Mins Baking : 35 Mins
- Eggs – 2
- Sunflower Oil – 1/4 Cup (Alternative : Any other mild flavor or flavorless oil works well)
- Milk – 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla paste – 1 Tsp
- Caster Sugar – 1/2 Cup
- All purpose flour – 3/4 Cup
- Cornflour – 2 Tbsp
- Baking Powder – 1 Tsp
- Unsweetened raspberry puree – 1/2 Cup
- Powdered Sugar – 1 Tsp for dusting
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Prepare your cake tin by brushing them with butter or with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, beat 2 eggs until fluffy. Add oil, milk, vanilla paste, sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Sieve in all purpose flour, cornflour and baking powder. Gently fold the mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into halves. Add unsweetened raspberry puree into one half of the batter. So now you have two batters – Plain vanilla cake batter and raspberry batter.
- Very carefully, add 1 Tbsp of plain vanilla batter to the center of the prepared cake tin. Add the same measure of raspberry batter to the center. Add them to the center to get concentric rings of white and pink batter, alternating each other.
- Bake at 180°C for 35 – 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely and dust the top with powdered sugar.
Also check out my other easy desserts: