This curry is my new found favorite.
Kadhi, is a popular Indian dish made with yogurt and chickpea/ gram flour. The dish has a lot of variations. But, here is a simple recipe with the goodness of vegetables.
For this recipe, I used carrot, zucchini and kohlrabi. You can use any other vegetable of your liking. Gram flour is usually used to thicken the curry. Do not add gram flour directly in to the pot as that may cause lumps. Make a gram flour slurry, simply by mixing together water and gram flour. Add this slurry to the vegetables. Cook the slurry well to avoid any raw taste of the flour. The curry will thicken gradually. Once it’s all well cooked, turn off the flame and then add the yogurt to get a smooth, creamy curry.
Serve this with hot chapatis/rotis or even rice and you have a wholesome nutritious meal.
Hope you enjoy this recipe.
Happy cooking !! 🙂
Total : 45 Mins Prep : 15 Mins Cooking : 30 Mins
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Chopped onion – 3/4 Cup
- Finely chopped garlic – 1 Tsp
- Red chilies – 2 (Alternative : Green chili)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Vegetables (Diced carrots, zucchini and kohlrabi) – 2 Cups
- Gram Flour – 3 Tsp
- Water – 3 Cups + 50ml (for gram flour slurry)
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 Tsp
- 3.5 % Fat Yogurt – 4 Tbsp
- Dried Fenugreek leaves/ Kasuri Methi – 1 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- In a pot, heat oil. Add cumin seeds, onion and garlic. Saute until onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped chilies, vegetables and turmeric. Stir well and fry for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water. Bring it a boil and then simmer for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare a gram flour slurry (3 tsp gram flour + 50 ml water). Add this slurry into the pot after the vegetables are cooked.
- Add salt, garam masala. Stir well and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off flame. Add yogurt and dried fenugreek leaves. Mix well and it’s ready to be served.