It is almost mid-summer here and it’s cherry season!! It is so wonderful to see the markets filled with these gorgeous beauties. They are plump, sweet with such a magnificent color.
I was so tempted to eat these dark fresh cherries as it is. But, I used them to bake a really simple yet glorious French Dessert – Clafoutis. I remember watching an episode of ‘Food Safari’, where Chef Guillaume Brahimi made this super simple dessert.
Traditionally, prunes, plums or cherries are used with almond meal, almond essence or kirsch (Cherry liqueur). I used hazelnut liqueur and a teaspoon of vanilla. Once baked, the consistency of it should be almost custard like. So, do not over bake your clafoutis. However, I did over bake mine a little, but never the less it was still delicious and creamy.
Since, I do not have a cherry pitter, I used a straw and a beer bottle instead. 😉 You can go the traditional way by not pitting them. Unless you want to risk getting choked or have a broken tooth, I’d suggest pitting them.
In case you do not find cherries, are discover this post after the cherry season, do not frown! Use any other fruit. Apple, pear, strawberries, fig or plum.
If you haven’t made this before, please do. With an easy batter, that can be whipped up in no time, it surely is a treat. Make them either in small individual dishes or in a cake pan, like I did (I used a 9 inch pan). It’s looks beautiful and it’s a perfect dessert to impress and show off to your guests. You can serve it warm, at room temperature or even cold. For some extra decadence, serve with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Delishhh!! 🙂
Hope you give this recipe a try. Click the video below to see how I made it.
Happy Baking!! 🙂
Total : 55 Mins
Prep : 10 Mins
Baking : 45 Mins
- Eggs – 3
- Sugar – 1/2 Cup
- Melted Unsalted Butter – 6 Tbsp and more to butter the dish
- Flour – 1 Cup
- Salt – 1/2 Tsp
- 1 cup (235 ml) milk
- Vanilla essence – 1 Tsp
- Hazelnut liqueur – 2 Tbsp
- Cherries, pitted – 300 grams
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease a baking dish or a cake pan with butter and place pitted cherries.
- Beat eggs and sugar until lighter in color.
- Add melted butter and whisk to incorporate well. Add flour and salt. Add milk a little at a time and whisk to form a homogeneous mixture.
- Add in vanilla essence and hazelnut liqueur. Mix to get a smooth, shiny batter.
- Now, carefully pour in the batter over the cherries in the prepared cake pan. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until slightly brown and set in the center.
- Let it cool for 20 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar.