Strudel may seem intimidating to make from scratch, especially the dough. But hey, here’s ready made puff pastry to the rescue, yet again!
The only thing you need to do is prep the apple filling, which is really simple. You will need two green apples(Granny Smith). You could also use red apples. But, I prefer, green for it’s lovely tartness. Peel, core and slice them. Mix in sugar, cinnamon powder and flour. And that’s your filling done! Traditionally, rum soaked raisins are added too.
Now comes in the puff pastry. Flour your work surface well, otherwise the pastry will stick. Roll it out gently. Arrange apple cinnamon filling down the middle and cut slits on either sides of the pastry. Gently fold slits on the filling, alternating each side. It sometimes tends to get a little messy during this stage, because the butter in the pastry begins to melt. Work quickly or just put it back in the fridge for few minutes. Brush with egg wash and bake.
Once baked, your kitchen will smell like sweet cinnamon and apple. Truly heavenly! Bake until the pastry turns a beautiful golden brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes. I personally like it served at room temperature, while the filling is still slightly warm.
A slice of this with a chilled dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream is the best tea time snack you will ever have!
Hope you enjoy this recipe. Watch the video below, to see how it is made.
Happy Baking !! 🙂
Total : 1 hour
Prep : 20 mins
Baking : 30 mins
Yields 5 slices
- Puff Pastry sheet, thawed – 1
- Green apples(peeled, core removed and sliced) – 2
- Cinnamon Powder – 1 Tbsp
- All purpose flour – 1 Tbsp and more for dusting the work surface
- Sugar – 1 Tbsp and more for sprinkling on the pastry
- Egg – 1
- Water and a teaspoon of lemon juice to soak sliced apples
- In a bowl of water add a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Place the slices in water. This prevents them from browning. Leave aside for few minutes and drain water thoroughly and pat them dry.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with a baking sheet.
- Add cinnamon powder, sugar and flour to the drained and dry apples. Combine well.
- Dust the work surface with flour and place chilled puff pastry. Gently roll out the pastry into a rectangle.
- Arrange apple filling at the center of the pastry, lengthwise.
- Cut slits on either sides of the pastry, 1/2 an inch apart from each other. Begin braiding from one end, alternating slits on either sides and cover the apples.
- In a bowl, crack an egg and whisk. Brush egg on top of braided pastry and sprinkle sugar on top. Bake for 30 mins or until golden brown.
- Let it cool for a minimum of 10 minutes and serve with vanilla ice cream or chilled whipped cream.