This really simple, easy and delicious vegetable appetizer dish, referred to as ‘Cutlets’ or ‘Tikkis’ in India are served as an evening snack with chutney. They are completely vegetarian and even vegan friendly, made with grated carrots, cabbage and zucchini.
Usually in India, cutlets or patties are made with boiled potatoes which act as a binding agent. But, this recipe contains no potatoes. The plain flour acts like a binding agent. Cabbage and zucchini contain a lot of moisture and when it mixes with flour, it helps bind everything together. Coarse semolina makes them crispy. The patties need to be cooked on a medium heat, until both sides are browned.
Weight watchers out there, this is a perfect snack for you as it has very little oil plus the goodness of veggies. They are delightful when eaten hot or warm. The spices pack a serious flavor punch. They are crunchy on the outside but soft and moist inside.
Serve them with your favorite chutney or sauce. I served these with a sweet and tangy tamarind chutney. They make a really good, light lunch or dinner too, when paired with a refreshing salad on the side. And not to forget, veggie burgers. Place the patties between your choice of burger buns, top with some sliced onions, tomatoes and lettuce. Squeeze some mustard, mayo or ketchup and voilà! You have yourself a super flavorful veggie burger.
Hope you enjoy this recipe.
Click on the video below to see how I made them.
Happy Cooking !! 🙂
Total : 30 Mins
Prep : 20 Mins
Cooking : 10 Mins
This recipe makes 8 small sized patties.
- Finely grated carrot – 1 Cup
- Finely grated cabbage – 1 Cup
- Finely grated zucchini – 1 Cup
- Coarse Semolina – ¼ Cup
- Plain flour – 2 Tbsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ Tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ Tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1 Tsp
- Paprika – 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ Tsp
- Red Chili Powder – ½ Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil for pan frying
- Mix ingredients 1 – 12 in a bowl. As you combine the ingredients, the mixture comes together as cabbage and zucchini release their moisture. Therefore, do not add water.
- Take a tablespoon of mixture and flatten between your hands to form thin patties.
- On a flat pan, heat some oil. Fry the patties on one side on medium flame until brown. Then flip and fry the other side until brown.
- Serve with your favorite sauce on the side.