Aloo palak translates to ‘Potato Spinach’. This dish is simple and fairly quick to make.
It can be prepared in two ways:
1. With gravy – prepared by pureeing spinach to a silky smooth consistency and simmering boiled potatoes in it with spices.
2. Without gravy/dry – prepared by sauteing chopped spinach and boiled potatoes with some onions, tomatoes and spices.
This recipe is a ‘without gravy’ version. I used chopped frozen spinach. If you find fresh spinach, even better. I let the frozen spinach thaw completely and then drained out the water. To spice up this dish, I used a mild green chilli and red chilli powder. You can definitely tweak the spice levels according to your taste.
To make it vegan, replace ghee with any vegan butter or vegetable oil. This dish is usually eaten with Indian flatbreads (chapati / roti / paratha / naan etc). It also goes well with some plain steamed rice too.
Happy Cooking ! 🙂
Total : 25 Mins
Prep : 20 Mins
Cooking : 15 Mins
1 CUP = 250 ml
- Ghee – 1 Tsp (Vegan alternative : vegan butter or vegetable oil)
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Chopped onion – 1 Cup
- Chopped ginger – 1 Tsp
- Chopped garlic – 1 Tsp
- Finely chopped green chilli – 1
- Chopped tomato – 1 Cup
- Turmeric powder – ¼ Tsp
- Ground cinnamon – ¼ Tsp
- Ground cloves – ¼ Tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ Tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 150 ml
- Chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed – 300 Grams
- Boiled potato, cut into cubes – 1 large
- Dried fenugreek leaves/Kasuri Methi – 1 Tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 Tbsp
- Heat a large pan with ghee on medium high heat. Add chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chilli. Saute until the onion sweat and become translucent.
- Add chopped tomato, spices and season with salt. Saute until the tomato softens and becomes mushy.
- Add spinach, water and boiled potato. Add dried fenugreek leaves and cook for 5 minutes. Lastly add lemon juice, give it a final mix and it is ready.
- Serve immediately with roti/chapati/naan.