Baked sweet potatoes are one of the best appetizers! They are easy to prepare and are perfect for a really light snack.
These baked fries may not be very crispy or similar to the deep fried ones, but they are incredibly tasty. Most important of all, they are healthy!
The best part of home made fries is that you can really add anything you want. I made a spice mix with some paprika, red chilli and garlic powder, dried basil, salt and rice flour. The rice flour makes it slightly crispier than normal flour.
A dip is always a must with fries. In restaurants or road side stalls you get an option of ketchup, bbq sauce or loads of mayo like they do it here in Germany. I must say, after moving here, I kinda like fries with mayo better. It goes really well but few people might find it weird.
For this recipe, I’m gonna push the mayo and other sauces aside and share an amazing home made dip with you guys. It’s a Greek yogurt dip, simply made by adding some salt, garlic powder, dried basil and paprika. It almost tastes like a sour cream cheese dip and it pairs really well with the sweet potatoes. I love the combo!
On the whole, Greek yogurt, good for you and sweet potato also good for you. A total win – win!
So go and make a batch of these delicious fries as a side dish or as a snack to go with your hot cuppa!!
Happy Baking! 🙂
Total : 30 Mins
Prep : 10 Mins
Cooking : 20 Mins
- Sweet potato – 1 large
- Paprika – 1 Tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1 Tsp
- Salt – 1 Tsp
- Dried Basil – 1 Tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Rice flour – 3 Tsp
- Vegetable oil – 2 Tbsp
- Greek Yogurt – 3 Tbsp
- Paprika – a pinch
- Dried Basil – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the edges of a sweet potato. Peel and cut into long, thin strips, about ¼ inch wide.
- In a bowl, toss in cut sweet potatoes, powdered spices, salt, rice flour and oil. Mix until every slice is evenly coated.
- Arrange slices on the baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle chopped fresh basil leaves and enjoy with the yogurt dip.