Crispy, golden brown, delicious and extremely hearty. These are Classic German Potato Pancakes/ fritters – Reibekuchen or Karoffelpuffer.
It’s Christmas Season! 🙂
This season is all about the snow, beautifully decorated and lit Christmas trees, ice skating rinks, amazing Christmas markets and so much more.
Exploring Christmas markets is my favorite thing to do during this season. Here in Germany, every Christmas market is filled with different array of amazing foods, varieties of warm drinks(mulled wine / Glühwein), beautiful handicraft stalls, etc.
Each year, when I visit the Christmas Market, the one thing that I do not miss is, eating a plate of Reibekuchen with apple sauce. It is a traditional German pancake or fritter made with finely grated potatoes and onions, fried in loads of oil that gives it an amazingly crispy exterior while the middle remains soft and moist. It is usually served with an apple sauce. Eating these hot and steaming, crispy pancakes at -2°C is truly an experience!
Here is a version that I recently made a home. I finely grated the potatoes and onions by hand. You could also use a food processor to make things easier. Potatoes and onion release a lot of water. This water is sometimes drained to make the pancakes extra crispy. The flour and egg are added to bind the mixture together. Season with a little salt and pepper and mix. Heat a skillet or pan with oil. Scoop out two tablespoon of mixture onto the pan and shape it into a circle. Adding more oil and cooking it on medium heat will result in crispy, golden brown pancakes/fritters.
Traditionally it is served with apple sauce. You can also serve it with sour cream or cranberry sauce. It is always best when eaten hot.
Hope you enjoy this recipe.
Happy Cooking! 🙂
TOTAL : 20 Mins
PREP : 10 Mins
Yields 7- 8 Pancakes
- Vegetable Oil – 3 Tbsp (For frying. Use more if required.)
- Finely grated onion – 1 medium
- Finely grated potato – 2 large
- Egg – 1
- Plain Flour/All purpose flour – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper, ground – to taste
- In a bowl, mix in grated onion and potatoes, egg, all purpose flour, salt and black pepper. Mix to combine well.
- Heat a skillet or a flat pan. Add oil. Gently spoon out 2 tablespoon of mixture on to the pan and spread gently. Cook on one side until golden brown and crispy. Then gently flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Place the pancakes on an absorbent paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with apple sauce.
If you enjoyed the video, please don’t forget to hit the like button and SUBSCRIBE!