Crunchy, crumbly biscotti with melted chocolate and cranberries are gluten-free treats you don’t want to miss!
I’m finally back after a long break from blogging. The weather really struck me pretty hard this time and I was down with severe cold followed by a nasty cough. It took me almost 3 weeks to completely heal. I spent most of my time sipping hot tea, eating soup, porridge and sleeping. Anyway, it feels great to be finally getting back to doing what I love the most.☺️
I absolutely love baking with almond flour/meal. This time I made some delicious biscotti with almond flour and dried cranberries. They were a hit with my husband. They were crispy, crumbly and not overly sweet.
Biscotti, derived from ‘Biscoctus‘ in Latin means ‘Twice Cooked’. It’s first shaped into a log or a rectangle and baked once. Then cooled, sliced and baked again.
This was my first time making biscotti and I was thrilled with the outcome. Although I wish, I had baked them a little less. They were a tad bit more brown than a regular biscotti.
Slicing after baking the first time can be a bit tricky. Because the mix has almond flour, it tends to crumble into pieces. Let it cool at least for 40 minutes to an hour. Then gently cut with a sharp knife. Arrange the slices, cut side down and bake further. They are very delicate, so handle them with care.
Serve it as it is or spread some melted chocolate. I prefer it with the chocolate. The cranberries add a lovely sweet and sour touch that compliments well with chocolate and almond flour.
These store quite well in a air tight container. Make a batch of these and snack along all week with your coffee or tea.
Happy Baking! ☺️
Total : 1 Hour 40 Mins
Prep : 15 Mins
- Blanched almond flour – 125 Grams
- Bi carbonate of soda – ½ Tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Egg – 1
- Melted butter – 1½ Tbsp
- Caster/Granulated Sugar – 2 Tbsp
- Vanilla bean paste – ½ Tsp
- Dried cranberries – a handful
- Melted semi sweet chocolate – to spread over biscotti
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk in a room temperature egg, sugar, melted butter and vanilla bean paste.
- Add almond flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well. Fold in the dried cranberries.
- Place the mixture on the parchment paper and shape into a rectangular loaf (2.5 cm tall, 17 cm long and 10 cm wide).
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until brown on top. The center will be soft. Let it rest and cool for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven again to 170°C. Slice the firm loaf with a sharp knife, about ½ inches thick.
- Arrange the slices on the tray. Bake on one side for 5 minutes or until bottom turns light brown. Flip and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Gently remove the tray from the oven and let them cool.
- Dip the biscotti in melted semi sweet chocolate or spread the chocolate over the biscotti.
Similar recipes :