Delicious moist cake with flavors of chocolate and orange, made absolutely with zero dairy ingredients. This vegan fruit cake is one recipe you’ll want to try!
It’s already one month down into the new year! Time certainly doesn’t wait for anybody. January, this year was more colder than usual with a good amount of snowfall as well. This weather makes me feel so lazy and all I want to do is keep munching on something. My sweet cravings have risen so much. Hence, this recipe! 🙂
This cake has no dairy products and is completely vegan! Before you think, ” A vegan cake, really? It’s not gonna be good. “, let me tell you, this cake tasted amazing! It may look utterly boring, but hey, it’s gonna win your heart with it’s taste!
I had some apple sauce left over and didn’t know what to do with it. So, I added it into the cake as a substitute to milk and eggs. I was pleasantly surprised! It makes the cake incredibly moist without overpowering it with apple flavor.
To help the cake rise, add a little apple cider vinegar or just regular white vinegar along with baking powder and bi carbonate of soda. When the three come in contact, a chemical reaction takes places and the batter begins to fizz(just like the volcano science project that you may have done in school). Do not over mix the batter, otherwise you’ll lose all that air. Bake until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
The diced candied orange peel adds a perfect amount of sweetness to the cake and pairs well with chocolate. Cut them into slices, store them in air tight boxes and enjoy when you wish to have a sweet treat.
Happy Baking ! 🙂
Total : 40 Mins
Prep : 10 Mins
- All purpose flour – 1 ¼ Cups
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 2 Tbsp
- Baking powder – ½ Tsp
- Bi carbonate of soda – 1 Tsp
- Salt – ¼ Tsp
- Unsweetened applesauce – 1 Cup
- Vegetable oil – ¼ Cup
- Powdered Sugar – ¼ Cup
- Vanilla bean paste – 1 Tsp
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 Tbsp (Alternative: White vinegar)
- Diced, candied orange peel – 100 grams
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Prepare a cake tin by spraying some cooking spray and lining the bottom with a parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sieve flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Add salt and whisk well. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk applesauce, vegetable oil, vanilla bean paste, sugar and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix with a spatula. Fold in the candied orange. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared cake tin. Spread evenly and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool inside the tin for 10 minutes, then remove the cake and gently peel the parchment paper and let it continue to cool further on a wire rack. Cut into desired slices and serve.